The Carnahan Group About Cindy Carnahan Cindy Prefers Home


Official Guide To Becoming a Wichitan
By Rachel Larson
Printed with permision by the
Wichita Register Magazine
, July/August 2004

When moving to a new city, there are a million tiny details to take care of. The following information will help ease the transition of becoming an official Wichita city, Sedgwick County, and Kansas state citizen. Here is a guide to all the government hoops and red tape you must get through. Good luck and God speed!

How to get your Kansas driver's licence
If you have a valid out-of -state license, the Kansas Department of Motor Vehicles says you must bring with you two forms of identification. Check their web site for acceptable forms, Your license cannot be canceled, suspended, or revoked in any state.
There is only one location in Wichita:

Twin Lakes Shopping Center, 1823 West 21st North Suite 42A, (316)821-9920, open Tu-F, 7am-5:45pm.

However, Andover's location is also an option:

Andover Shopping Center, 111 W. Central, (316) 733-0106, open Tu-F, 7am to 5:30pm.

If your license is valid, you will surrender your license and have your eyes examined. For residents between the ages of 21 and 64, there is a $22 fee for the standard non-commercial operating class C license. If you require a written examination, an additional $3 fee may apply. John Holroyd, public service administrator of the Wichita branch, says the average wait time is approximately 15 to 20 minutes. To further secure the licensing process and protect your identity, Kansas will be issuing only temporary licenses over the counter. The state will then verify your identity and send your permanent license through the mail a week later. This system has already been tested in Topeka.

How to get your Kansas tags and register your vehicles:

According to the tag office web site, you must bring your title, vehicle, and proof of insurance to the Sedgwick County downtown tag office at 200 West Murdock, (316) 660-9110, or to any of the three substations:

Northeast- Britney Shopping Center: 2120 N. Woodlawn, Suite 370;
West- Chadsworth Shopping Center: 2330 North Maize Road Suite 1100;
Derby- Towne Center: 206 W. Greenway.

Only the person listed on the title can register the vehicle. If the title is listed with two names for example, John Doe and Jane Doe, both parties must be present. If the two names are listed as John Doe and/or Jane Doe, either party may register. Your car will need to be inspected by the Kansas Highway Patrol. The inspection can take place at any office for a $10 fee. The tag and title fee is $10.50. An additional $2 substation fee will be charged at any of the three substations. Check the Tag Office Web site for additional questions,

How to register to vote:

You may register to vote at the Sedgwick County Election Office, 510 N. Main, #101, (316) 660-7100. Voter Registration applications are also available at any QuikTrip in Sedgwick county or on-line at If you are a first time voter in Sedgwick County, you must submit verification of address in the form of an ID or copy of a utility bill. You may include it with your application or show proper identification at the voting polls on Election Day. Registration closes 14 days prior to any election. If for some reason you will be unable to vote on Election Day, advanced voting is available. Applications can be picked up at any QuikTrip, on the election office Web site, and at the election office itself. Check the Web site for more information on candidates, precincts, and polling locations.